Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech win the hard way

More news, no ads


North Norfolk 3, Wisbech Men’s 1st 4

After a supremely impressive result and performance last weekend, Wisbech proved they could win the hard way in a very scrappy game on the Norfolk coast.

Wisbech felt in control of the game for the majority of the time, but silly little errors allowed the hosts to create good opportunities.

Wisbech Laides 3rds v St Ives 4ths. (42745497)
Wisbech Laides 3rds v St Ives 4ths. (42745497)

The away side created a number of chances but were caught cold on the break and Norfolk took the lead against the run of play.

Straight away, Wisbech responded and Dom Stannard took the chance at the back post with a well taken finish.

From that moment on it was all Wisbech and they made it 2-1 thanks to Stannard’s second trademark back post finish from a Dan Martell crash ball into the D.

Wisbech Laides 3rds v St Ives 4ths. (42745498)
Wisbech Laides 3rds v St Ives 4ths. (42745498)

The home side equalised against the run of play and it could have been 3-2 before the break but for an excellent Will Smithee save.

The visitors took the lead again thanks to Scott Welcher getting the vital touch from a penalty corner. But it was another mistake which allowed the opposition to counter and make it 3-3.

But man of the match Stannard picked up his hat-trick and what ultimately proved to be the winner after finishing well from the back post.

Wisbech 2nd 5, Ely City 2

The hosts started better than last week and were soon challenging the visiting keeper with multiple shots from both short corners and open play.

Wisbech went 1-0 up after man of the match Jon Shippey smashed the ball in to the D for Josh Porter to deflect into the goal. Matt Pooley added a second for Wisbech to go into the break 2-0 up at half time.

Ely came back stronger after the break and pulled back a goal from an open play break away.

Despite successfully defending a string of Ely short corners, Wisbech were punished by another Ely goal to make it 2-2.

Josh Porter then dribbled around the Ely defence and struck a fine solo effort to re-take the lead and after that Wisbech re-discovered their mojo with Kieran Hallett making it 4-2 from an unstoppable low short corner flick. The hosts then built on their ability to make short simple passes for Sam Markillie to slot in a fifth in the dying seconds to seal the result at 5-2.

Bourne Deeping 5th 5, Wisbech 3rd 0

Wisbech started the game well, with superb defensive shape and tireless work in the midfield from Matt Esser and Jason Thomas keeping the score at 0-0.

On the counter attack Wisbech looked dangerous and Tim Bateman used his silky skills to embarrass the Bourne Deeping defence, although he could not link up with the two Wisbech forwards.

As the first half came to a close, insecure play at the back led to Bourne Deeping slotting the ball into the net to lead 1-0 at the break.

Bourne Deeping continued their dominance into the second half, with Wisbech quite clearly tiring.

A couple of short corners, and good skill saw Bourne score another four unanswered goals. Man of the match was Tim Bateman.

Wisbech 4th 1, City of Peterborough 8th 0

Wisbech started slowly but still had most of the play with Peterborough making a few attacks but being calmly kept at bay by a strong defence.

After the break, Bradley Burton linked well with Robin Middleton on the right and they caused all sorts of problems for Peterborough’s midfield, allowing Wisbech’s strikers chance after chance, but that goal just wouldn’t come.

Harry Milton worked tirelessly all game in midfield, linking well with the strikers, and Wisbech were award a short corner which was quickly fizzed into the D, allowing Johnathan Boyle to calmly put the ball in the net in the 67th minute.

Man of the match was Harry Milton.

Wisbech Ladies 1st 3, Bourne Deeping 0

Both teams started off determined to keep their 100% record intact, both playing attractive and quick hockey in the opening exchanges.

Bourne Deeping played their two forwards very high which did lead to a few openings but these were snuffed out by the ever-dependable back line of Nat Ward, Katie Dunn, Issy Olderhsaw-Ellis and Beth Rosier.

Georgie Dunn and Hannah Strickle were finding space out wide and ran the wide lines very well whilst tracking when needed to nullify the threat of the wide away players.

Jo Bland, playing in a more forward role, was proving to be a constant thorn in the side of Bourne, creating space and delivering some great balls through.

With her team mates, Laura Overland and Izzy Pope, they started to dominate possession without creating clear chances.

Emily Thomas in the Wisbech goal was called upon midway through the half and made a great save with her stick.

Amber Scott, Ellie Padmore, Joey Gomm and Jane Peggs were again questioning their markers and when they did get through, they found an equally obstinate keeper. Half time came with both sides goalless.

The opening goal came from Amber Scott driving through the right channel before delivering a superb ball onto the stick of Jane Peggs who showed all her experience to deflect the ball past the advancing keeper.

It was not long before Katie Dunn and Georgie Dunn combined to set up Peggs for her second goal.

The third and last goal was yet another training ground move with Amber Scott rounding off a fine performance by ghosting in on the far post to slot home.

Player of the match was shared between Emily Thomas, Jane Peggs and Nat Ward.

The ladies face another hard test away at local rivals Pelicans (King’s Lynn) next week.

Peterborough 3rd 3, Wisbech Ladies 2nd 0

Wisbech started the game well, putting pressure on the defence, but some sloppy play in defence saw them giving the ball away under pressure and the home side were two up at half time.

The girls in red did have some good play together after the break but could not get anything from this. A short corner finished the home side win.Well played to Ali Beel in goal with some great saves, but player of the match goes to Izzy Gowler with some great work and tackling back in defence.

Wisbech Ladies 3rd 0, St Ives 4th 0

Ana Norman, Annie Gee and Penny Scott made their thirds debuts in this fixture.

Movement of the ball during the first half was excellent, utilising the whole pitch with some great passing and the ladies had most of the game play. When in the attacking D they were dangerously close to scoring on many occasions but it was goalless at half time.

After the break, Wisbech came back attacking, determined for that elusive goal. Even though centre back Nic Greville was constantly penetrating St Ives’ defence from Wisbech’s own half, they could not find the back of the net.

Some excellent defending combined with attacking runs saw Hetty Hoyles voted the player of the match.

Cambridge South Men’s 2nd 2, Long Sutton Men’s 1st 2

Sutton started brightly, with a strong press from the front two of Jackson and Baker, ably supported by Fyson at the top of the diamond, and the two wide men, Sargeant and Synnott.

South struggled going forward to begin but had the lion’s share of the possession. The green defence of Holmes, Oldfield, White and Ripley held firm, with no scares.

Not long into the half, a ball from Fyson found Baker in the D and he smashed the ball into the top right corner.

Then, a ball from Harrison was perfect for Baker to pounce on and he scored with a well-placed backhand shot into the bottom right.

South managed to nick one back to make it 2-1 to Sutton at the break.

South came out the better side in the second half and scored from a well taken penalty corner.

There were chances for both sides to win in a scrappy but well fought second half.

Long Sutton 2nd 3, St Ives 2nd 1

Sutton came into this game after three straight defeats and for the first 10 minutes the visitors had the best of the chances.

However, good work from Baguley, Adam Taylor and Donaghy kept the scoreline goalless until an excellently worked goal from St Ives gave them the lead.

Sutton heads did not drop and Gray, Ibrahim and the ever reliable Fox in the midfield fought well alongside Burton, who was inspired on his return.

After the break they scored from a well worked short corner and soon doubled the tally. Ibrahim scored a great finish before the end to secure the victory.

Long Sutton 3rd 3, Spalding 4th 3

Having won two and drawn one of their previous three games, the young Sutton side went into this match with confidence, despite a heavy loss in pre-season to these opponents.

Spalding opened the scoring, but Sutton pulled back and scored again to go 2-1 up.

Spalding equalised but again Sutton took the lead, before Spalding made it 3-3 with six minutes left. Sutton Man of the Match was Jake Simpson.

Bourne Deepings 3rd 7, Long Sutton Ladies 1st 1

After a nervy start, Sutton were quickly 1-0 down and a further two goals followed. Sutton pulled one back when a loose ball fired through the middle by Lottie Dack found Wendy Canham, who made it 3-1 at half time.

Sutton continued to have positive passages after the break and Immi Cooper created chances in the D only to be thwarted.

Georgina Synott, Esme Whitelam and Sarah Skate kept working back and forth to defend and attack but the well trained home side added a further four goals. Sharing the Player of the Match award were Wendy Canham and Lottie Dack.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More