Home   News   Article

Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech is open as normal this morning after the weekend fire




A Wisbech doctors' surgery has re-opened this morning following a fire which saw it closed yesterday (Monday).

The Clarkson Surgery in De Havilland Road, had to be evacuated at around 4pm on Friday when a fire broke out in premises’ fuse box which yesterday saw patients forced to call the Trinity Surgery for appointments.

However, emergency repair works to the fuse box and installation of a new electric meter means the surgery is open as usual today and patients should contact the Clarkson direct for appointments.

The Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech. (4081897)
The Clarkson Surgery in Wisbech. (4081897)

Alan Ball, managing partner of the Octagon Medical Practice, of which the Clarkson Surgery is a member, explained the incident, which was likely caused by a combination of the excessive heat of last week and an overload.

He said: "Trinity kindly loaned us four treatment rooms so people who needed to be seen by a doctor or a nurse could have an appointment. Our admin staff were based at Trinity yesterday to take calls and deal with patients.

"Luckily the damage was all external and so pharmacy staff were able to work manually dispensing prescriptions to those who need them and were on hand yesterday to direct patients. There was a slight smoke smell inside and we have had a cleaning company in to wipe down the walls and release enzymes to take away the smell.

"UK Power Networks were out on Saturday morning replacing the outside fuse box, and we were grateful for their prompt attendance. British Gas Electric does not work over the weekends so I had to call first thing Monday morning to arrange for a new meter to be fitted.

"The meter has been fitted and the systems have all been checked and so we are open as usual now."

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “At 4pm on Friday two crews from Wisbech were called to a fire on De Haviland Road in Wisbech.

“Firefighters arrived to find a fire involving the fuse box in the electric main intake cupboard of a doctors surgery. Using hose reels and CO2 extinguishers to put the fire out.

“The building was safely evacuated before crews arrived at the scene.

“The crews returned to their station by 8pm. The cause of the fire was accidental.”


Read more



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More