Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Don't leave mobile phones charging overnight warning after house fire at Leverington

More news, no ads


Three people had to be treated for smoke inhalation following a house fire in Leverington which was started by a mobile phone.

Cambridgeshire Fire. (3518156)
Cambridgeshire Fire. (3518156)

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue have issued a warning about leaving phones charging overnight following yesterday (Wednesday) morning's fire at Roman Bank.

Firefighters, were called to Roman Bank at around 12.38am, and use a hose reel to extinguish it.

Three casualties were treated for smoke inhalation and were left in the care of ambulance crews.

Firefighters returned to their station at 1.41am

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A fire service spokesman said: “The fire was caused by a mobile phone that was charging on the floor. As the phone got hotter from charging it caused the carpet to catch alight and burn through to the underlay.

“Leaving a mobile phone plugged in overnight can cause it to overheat once the battery is fully charged. We advise to only charge any device until full and then unplug it.

“When the crews arrived they found the occupant had re-entered the bedroom to try and extinguish the fire. It is important to evacuate the property as soon as a fire is found and not return to try and tackle it. Ensure all people are out of the property and where possible close doors while exiting the building, as this will help to prevent the fire from spreading.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More