Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Wisbech Hockey Club Men denied point versus leaders with late Potters Bar penalty decision

More news, no ads


Wisbech HC Men 3 Potters Bar 4

In the torrential downpour against the league leaders on Saturday, Wisbech could be forgiven for not being up for this game, but raced out of the blocks and really put the pressure on.

Their hard work was rewarded with a penalty stroke which was converted for the second week running by Jonathan Shippey. Buoyed by the goal and having worked on long corner routines at training Wisbech continued to keep their foot on the gas and created short corner opportunities which they unfortunately couldn’t convert.

Wisbech 1st v Bishops Stortford 1st Hockey. (17274761)
Wisbech 1st v Bishops Stortford 1st Hockey. (17274761)

Potters Bar gradually grew into the game and started to create chances of their own and equalised towards the end of the half. But for last ditch efforts from Will Smithee and Jason Mallett the scoreline could have been less than positive going in at half time, but the score was 1-1.

Having been given warnings to tighten up defensively Wisbech should have started the second half well but soon found themselves 3-1 down after two quick fire goals on the break. Heads did not drop, however, and Wisbech kept going.

With 15 minutes to go it was 3-2 thanks to a firm Tom Jupp strike from a short corner.

The men in red smelt blood and continued to create opportunities and got their well deserved equaliser through a Scott Welcher deflection from another short corner.

There were a couple of chances for both teams as the game appeared to be petering out to a draw but there was one moment of controversy to come. Potter’s Bar broke into the D only to be denied by a Sam Markillie clearance.

To Wisbech’s dismay the umpire awarded a short corner. Even worse was to come, though, as after a discussion between the two umpires the decision was somewhat inexplicably upgraded further to a penalty stroke, which was converted.

A thoroughly undeserved result but once more lots of positives to take from the game. Points are only just around the corner!!

Wisbech Men's 2nds 3 Cambs South 3’s 1

A great result against second in the league Cambs who were expecting an easy result. However, they were clearly bamboozled by the fast starting and accurate passing of Wisbech, who took the lead 10 minutes in from a Josh Porter goal in open play, his first for the 2nds.

Cambs responded but were thwarted by the solid Wisbech defence and the hardworking midfield showing great drive to support across the whole pitch. Wisbech dominated with several chances but were eventually caught on the break five minutes from half time which ended 1-1.

Cambs started strong in the second half with some changed tactics, but were set back again 10 minutes in, by the thumping strike of 'Ozzy' Osbourne from a short corner. Joe Else proved to be the star of the game, working relentlessly down the left, his iron will to take on and beat numerous players was exceptional.

Josh Bell and Josh Porter combined well up front with Ollie Mackett making his debut, supported solidly by the returning Jordy Trundle.

Wisbech sealed the game 12 minutes from time time, with a well worked passing regime, starting with Lee Peck in defence through the midfield for Eliott Peck to finish with a trademark strike.

Cairan Lowe, Nick Osbourne and keeper Wom Garner ensured Cambs didn't reply and a worthy 3-1 result was won.

MoM: Joe Else.

Wisbech Men's 3rds 1 Cambs City 6’s 0

Wisbech never really got into first gear but the back division played very well to keep the Cambs forwards at bay.

After a chat at half-time the whole team got stuck into the second half with increased vigour.

Even though it was a tight game with neither side giving way Wisbech did break the deadlock with a great goal from Ryan Jackson. The whole side played very well in the 2nd half. Wisbech now sit top of the table

MoM: Ryan Jackson.

Kettering 4ths 2 Wisbech Men's 4ths 0

Wisbech travelled with only 10 men after a last minute drop out.

Kettering were quick out of the blocks and earn't a short corner in the first minute, but we're unable to finish. Wisbech finally slowed the pace down and got themselves back in the game with some good passing from the back and around midfield. It was however, Kettering who broke the deadlock and Wisbech came in at half time 2-0 down.

The message at half-time was that Wisbech were still in the game, They would not play so high and try to catch them on the break.

This worked and Wisbech were now equal to Kettering and had good chances on goal but could not convert. The Wisbech 10 managed to see out the half without conceding a further goals.

Captain's MoM: Robin Middleton for his determined defending and attacking runs.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More